Sunday, October 18, 2009

Date 12

This is the third and the last in a short series I like to call “You’re just not that into him and he’s just not that into you either.”
After my moments of post-date paranoia, I got sick and took a few days off work last week. I was home, freer than usual, and decided to gchat with the guy who my last date with made me feel like a hopeless hooligan. We ended up communicating for almost the whole day and I thought maybe I could really like this guy.
But it must have been the fever talking.
He asked if I was free this weekend and we planned to talk Saturday for a possible dinner in the evening. After texting during the day, I missed a call from that evening and called back right away. Actually, he said, he was about to go to a buddy’s house to watch the baseball game because he didn’t know what I had in mind. Was I hungry for dinner?
I was, I told him, a little confused as to why he seemed to be trying for a last-minute ditch but at the same time trying to save face by acting so confused.
It was only after I hung up that I heard the message he had started to leave before he got my call waiting: He was definitely trying to dodge.
So that makes things a little awkward.
I thought maybe it was the cold I had. He did say he was a germophobe. And while I still sounded a little hoarse there was no coughing, sneezing, runny nose, etc. I felt great.
But I couldn’t shake the feeling that he felt like he was doing me some sort of favor. Strange since the whole thing was his idea.
He took me to a place with tables and a bar, and then said he wanted to sit at the bar, where whadaya know, the baseball game was on. He looked cute but wore a tight ass leather jacket and I noticed that sometimes when he talks, he sounds like a jappy girl or a pretentious private school boy. I kept drifting off when we were talking, and I noticed hearing stories I had already heard, and telling him things about myself I had already told him.
Nothing like a third date to make it clear. This was definitely the last.
Then the bill came and he suggested I pay the tip. Which I did, after flashing a huge wad of cash in my wallet as if to say, it’s not your money honey, I just want to go out on dates with guys who act like I’m worth spending a few bucks on and who don’t double book on the eve of a previously scheduled baseball game, leaving me to spend my night watching them quietly route against the home team.
So bring it back Jay-Z: Hey hey hey. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment