Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Date 2: The intellectual

Tonight I had a first date with a guy I had met doing speed-dating.

As an aside, speed-dating is amazing! I don't know why I hadn't done this before. I definitely plan on doing it again. You can tell a lot about a person in a short date, and I have easily spent hundreds of nights out speaking to maybe one person...so meeting 10-40 guys in one evening is genius in a city like new york. Girls--keep this in mind! For $15-30 (the cost of a night out) you get a drink and the opportunity to meet a lot of people...it's fun in and of itself. I went with Midtown Girl and it was pretty darn enjoyable.

So,
Adam is a quiet, thoughtful guy with intense eyes hidden behind nerdy glasses...just my type. We met for asian "fusion"--a nyc restaurant favorite (I ate all my food with my hands, he ate daintily with a fork; I ate everything in sight, including some of his food; he didn't finish even the portion he'd taken...these small things I pay attention to. One of my big no-nos is dating a guy who is thinner than I am. It makes me feel huge and I worry about rolling over and crushing him in my sleep.) Anyhow... Adam is brilliant, accomplished, a professor at a university I will not name, but will say is one of the top five in the country. He has studied at some of the best universities in the world, and he asked me a lot about what I was interested in. Seems like a perfect date, right? And it wasn't bad. The food was certainly good.
But, there was no spark. I just couldn't picture myself kissing this guy...maybe I could if I knew him better, so if he asks me out again, I'll probably go. I don't know...one of those dates where I was hoping for more...and, well, eh.

Check came, we split the bill. I always offer to split, and insist if I know I don't ever want to see the guy again (transaction completed). Thing is, and I'm a little ashamed of this, but I respect the guy more if he pays. I think because my whole life I've always split the bill and at the end of the relationship always realized I was the one left holding the chicken (wait, that's not the expression....uh, the buck? no you pass that)? I'd always put way more than half into it. Especially if the guy makes a lot more than I do, I now feel that he should offer to pay. It's a sign of respect. Yep, retro. I'll cop to it.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahah. I like "left holding the chicken." I think we should bring that phrase into the vernacular.

    Sorry the date wasn't more exciting. Upward and onward, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me retro, too, but I think the guy should always pay unless he is 1. way younger than the woman; 2. way poorer than the woman; 3. asked out on the date by the older woman; and 4. willing to be her love-toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. "Left holding the chicken" shall become common parlance.

    ReplyDelete